Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gavin is bringing birthday wishes

I got the chance this morning to play in the SCS sketch challenge. (Shh, don't tell anyone! I'm supposed to be cleaning house, baking pumpkin pies, and doing all the other stuff to get ready for Thanksgiving. *wink*)

Now, I'm not too sure about this card. I don't know for sure what it is that I don't like about it, but something is bothering me. It may be my need for layers under the patterned paper and on the card base. But anyway, I love this dragon! Actually, I love all the High Hopes dragons because they are so cute! Who would have thought a dragon could be cute?!

I stamped, cut out, and colored my dragon first. Then, I cut my card base and used a glue pad to stamp the pattern (using Papertrey's Background Basics Stars stamp set) and added red fun flock. It is nice and fuzzy! Then, I cut my patterned papers and added the black stitching. I tied a ripe avocado ribbon around one piece and added some brads and my sentiment before assembling my card. I added a little white pigment ink to the edges of my card for a little contrast. I did get fuzzy on my inkpad, of course, so I don't recommend using a good ink pad.

And I have to have a close up of Gavin' the Givin' Dragon just because he is cute!

Here is the copic marker colors I used to color the image. I don't usually list the colors because I rarely take a photo of a card the same day I make it, but I decided to snap a quick pic this morning when I made this card.


Hope everyone celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow has a fabulous Thanksgiving! I better get busy! *wink*

signature
Recipe
Stamps: Gavin' the Givin' Dragon (High Hopes Rubber Stamps), Background Basics Stars, Mixed Messages (Papertrey Ink)
Cardstock: white (Papertrey Ink), night of navy (SU)
Patterned Paper: Box (Basic Grey)
Accents: ripe avocado stitched ribbon (Papertrey Ink), red and blue brads
Tools: copic markers, sewing machine, rectangle nestability die, red fun flock, glue pad, white pigment inkpad

13 comments:

Tracey said...

Gorgeous card! Gavin is too cute!

The Crazy Life of a Navy Wife said...

Very cute card! I love Gavin!!!

Kimberly Crawford said...

He is really cute!! Man, I adore your coloring!!!!
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Unknown said...

Th only thing bothering me about this card is that it's not sitting on my desk!! Its adorable - i love that wee dragon - i think you treated him very well!!

Denise Marzec said...

I like this dragon too. He IS cuuute!

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, Niki!

Bev J. said...

Great coloring on your card-cute. tfs

Jenn said...

OMG!! Is his name really Gavin?!? I HAVE to get him!! My Gavin will love it!

Anita said...

Cute card!

Ila said...

Your card is Gorgeous!! and your papers and coloring is Fabulous!...I love these cute dragons too..I hope you and your family have a Very Happy Thanksgiving!!!...Hugs, Ila

Anonymous said...

Wow, you know how to color a dragon!!! Gorgeous and so cute and sophisticated at the same time!

Vicki G said...

Gavin is adorable! Happy Thanksgiving Niki!!!

Vicki

Rach said...

a wonderful card niki, fabulous colouring and use of papers. thanks for sharing. hugs rachxx

Debbie Olson said...

Oh, Niki! You did a fabulous job coloring him--he's SO cute!