Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Warm Winter Wishes Just for You

I just love the 2008 Holiday Tag Collection stamp set. I wanted to use it to make a quick and easy gift and had to make a card to go along with it. For my card, I stamped the background paper first (more on that below). Then, I matted it with dark chocolate cardstock and put it on my pure poppy card.


I wrapped some dark chocolate satin ribbon around my card. Then, I stamped the sentiment. I first masked the coffee cup and stamped the sentiment ring. Then, I inked the "Just for you" in pure poppy and stamped it in the center. I sponged dark chocolate ink all over the circle and added a scalloped pure poppy layer.


My quick gift is a single serving of cocoa. I just dumped a packet of cocoa into one of the small glassine bags along with some marshmallows. Then, I folded the top over and stapled it shut. I created a tag for the top by stamping the tag, sponging some dark chocolate ink on it, and adding a pure poppy scalloped tag.


Stamped Patterned Paper Tutorial

It's been a while since I did a tutorial so I thought I would do a quick one with how I stamped my patterned paper for my card. It's really very easy I love how it reminds my of cocoa.

First, stamp the dotted circle from Borders and Corners Circles stamp set in dark chocolate ink onto vintage cream cardstock.


I wanted to use the coffee mug (without the sentiment) so I created a mask. Create a mask by stamping the tag image onto a post it note. Punch out the coffee mug so that you are left with just the sentiment on the post it note. Be sure to stamp the image up at the top of the post it note so you can use the sticky to keep it in place when using it as a mask. You can kind of see through the post it note so it is easy to center it over the dotted circles.


Now, you can stamp the coffee mug in the centers of the dotted circles and the words will stamp onto the post it note instead of the patterned paper. This way, you don't have to worry about being careful and only inking up part of the stamp. Just ink it all up and stamp in the center of the mask.

And this is what you will end up with. Stamp in the center of the rest of circles using the mask.

Now, the post-it note is not made of thick material and I started getting some marks on my paper where the ink bled through a little. If you want to prevent this, either use a few post-it notes layered together or use a thicker paper for your mask. I decided to embrace it and actually like how my paper turned out because of it. I sponged dark chocolate ink lightly all over my patterned paper. When I sponged, I inked the sponge up really well and then stamped it off on scrap paper before stamping it onto my patterned paper. Each time I needed more ink, I always stamped off on the scrap paper first. This helped get rid of a little ink so that it wouldn't be quite so dark. Then, after I cut my piece of patterned paper for my card, I sponged more dark chocolate ink on the edges. I think all the sponging really brings out the "cocoa feeling." Not sure if that is a real feeling or even makes sense, but I'm sticking to it.

Hope you all are having a great week!
signature
Recipe
Cardstock: Vintage Cream, Pure Poppy, Dark Chocolate (Papertrey Ink)
Patterned Paper: (hand stamped)
Ink: Pure Poppy, Dark Chocolate (Papertrey Ink)
Accents: Dark Chocolate Satin Ribbon (Papertrey Ink)
Tools: circle punch, scalloped circle punch (Marvy), small glassine bags (Papertrey Ink), sponge

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Niki, the patter paper tutorial is easy to follow and I'm planning to give it a shot. What a great idea you've used for giving a gift that's inexpensive, but nice enough to hand out to seldom seen neighbors or simply to people who make a day a little more special.

Monica said...

Niki,
Thanks so much for the tutorial. I really like that paper! Perfect gift for the weather around here this past week!

Thanks so much for sharing!
~Monica~

Kimberly Crawford said...

OH my goodness! Gorgeous! That is SO fabulous!! The background, the colors, oh you rock!!!

Bonnie said...

This is so nice Niki.....Love the paper you made and the colours are fabulous together - nice and warm and cozy!!

Regan said...

cool tutorial, great card project.

Tiffany said...

Too cute and great tutorial Niki!

Michelle said...

Oh, I LOVE it!!!! So many holiday ideas are churning in my head right now, love your tutorial, thanks for sharing (& how yummy is that poppy paper!)

Anonymous said...

Awesome job! I love making my own patterned paper. I really like how this turned out! Thanks for sharing.
~Lacey Stephens

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this! This is a technique I forget about and I love how pulled together a project looks when you make your own paper backgrounds.

You were the Runner Up Tutorial of the Week at Card of the Week.com. You can see the original post here.

I did use a picture from your post, with links back to the site and the original post. I hope that is OK. Please feel free to email me if you need me to change anything.

I also have an “I was featured” on badge for you if you want it :D

Thanks again for sharing!

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous - colours, layout, everything. Fab tutorial.

Stampvanwinkle said...

Hi Niki, Thanks for the tutorial. It is a great gift idea. I really appreciate your work. Thank you for sharing what you know.

Jennifer Holmes said...

Thanks, Niki, for sharing this great idea! I've been looking at that Borders and Corners set lately, this might have pushed me right into getting it!

Nikki Fairbairn said...

Gorgeous card Niki and thanks for sharing this great tutorial, Hugs, Nikki x

SueB said...

Love the card and tutorial - TFS!

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate the tutorial. Your paper looks great!

tyrymom29 said...

What a Great tutorial ...Thank you for sharing !!!Your card looks awesome!!

Katharina Frei said...

What a terrific card Niki!!! The colour combo is perfect and a great tutorial too.
Hugs
Katharina

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

Very nice Nikki. Every year I make a Hot chocolate mix for a bunch of people and this would be cute! Yes, I so love the poppy paper..It is my new favorite. I just broke down and bought the inks too!!!

Ila said...

Fabulous project and Tutorial!! I will definetly be referring back to it. I can see tapping off is the key to keeping it uniform...and know now why mine always looked ...well not so good...lol..TFS!!

Amy said...

Wow Niki, this technique is amazing! I thought you had real, bought paper on your card! IT looks FANTASTIC!

Kathleen said...

Niki--love this patterned paper---thanks for showing me another way to use my stamps!

Anonymous said...

Wow! The paper you made looks awesome and I can't wait to try this!! Thanks so much for sharing how to do it! Greetings from over the pond - Nina

Mary said...

How gorgeous! You did an awesome tutorial!