Monday, April 14, 2008

Party Hat tutorial

Morning! One of the projects that I entered in this month's Papertrey Guest Star Stamper contest were these party hats that I made for my daughter's birthday party next weekend. When I saw the birthday set It's a Celebration, I thought it would be so much fun to come up with some type of party hat. I designed my party hats first using plain paper and then set about making all the party hats. I stamped my patterned paper using the stamp set for some of the hats and used the Pink Patterns paper for some others. I have a tutorial below to teach you how to make the party hats, but I want to share the stamped patterned paper hats first.





I love the colors aqua mist and berry sorbet together and used them on a couple of my party hat designs. For this first hat, I used the present and bow stamps from It's a Celebration to make my patterned paper.





















I used berry sorbet and aqua mist again on this party hat design. For this hat, I used the cupcake stamps from It's a Celebration.





















I also needed a couple boy party hats. So, I used the party hat and topper from It's a Celebration and aqua mist and water lily green ink to make this design.




















This is the last design that I created with stamping. I used the Boxes, Bags, and Tags stamp set with berry sorbet and sweet blush ink.
















Party Hat Tutorial
Okay, now for the tutorial. These party hats are really easy to make, especially after you've made the first one.
Supplies
12x12 cardstock or patterned paper
ribbon
1/8 inch circle punch
3/4 inch circle punch
double sided tape
scissors
ruler
pencil
something to make a large circle (I used a lid)
stamps and ink if you plan to stamp your patterned paper



First, draw a large circle on a piece of 12x12 cardstock. If you are using a patterned paper, draw the circle on the back of the paper. I used the largest pan lid I could find in my kitchen and traced around it to make my circles.






Cut the circle out. Then, divide your circle into quarters. I used my glass mat to center the circle and that made finding the center lines easier. (Mine is even quarters, but the photo seems to be at a strange angle.) If you are stamping your patterned paper, now is when you want to stamp the other side (on the side with no pencil lines).





Cut your circle in half. You will have two party hats from each circle. You can set one aside for now.









Use a 3/4 inch punch to cut a semi circle out of the center of your hat (this is why we marked the circle both ways before).









Put a piece of double sided tape on one side of the semi circle. I'm not sure if you can see it well in this photo, but there is double sided tape on the right side.









Tape the hat together by overlapping the taped side over the other side.












Now, punch an 1/8 inch hole on both sides of the party hat about a 1/2 inch up. Make sure the seam where you taped you hat together is in the back.












Cut two pieces of ribbon 18 inches long. Knot the ends like this. I double knotted mine just to make sure they were larger than the holes.












Thread one ribbon through each hole in your party hat Now, you will be able to tie the hat when it comes time to wear them. Eighteen inches seems really long, but 12 inches was not near long enough for my 2 and 4 year olds. (They were my guinea pigs when designing the hats. )







Now, cut three pieces of ribbon 4 inches long. Arrange them crossed over like this.












Then, fold them in half.












Tape the end like this to make your tassel.














Thread the tassel up through the inside of the party hat.












Once you have the tassel pulled through, trim the ends of your ribbon.













Now, you have a finished party hat. The process goes very quickly once you have made the first one. If you do each step at the same time for multiple hats, you will have lots of hats in very little time.



















I made two each of these six designs. The thing that took the longest time was stamping the 4 different patterned papers for the 4 designs I created. The patterned paper hats were easy to make very quickly.

If you make a party hat, I would love to see it! Please let me know!




Supplies (all Papertrey Ink products unless noted)
Stamps: It's a Celebration, Boxes Bags & Tags
Cardstock: white 12x12
Patterned Paper: Pink Patterns
Ink: aqua mist, sweet blush, berry sorbet, water lily green (Palette)
Ribbon: aqua mist, sweet blush
Tools: scissors, 1/8 inch circle punch, 3/4 inch circle punch

17 comments:

Marilyn said...

Wow this is a cool idea for a party - my son's b-day is this weekend too - maybe I'll get time to make some - what a fabulous idea and thanks so much for the awesome tutorial too!!

Deanna said...

You rock Niki!

Lee said...

What an absolutely DARLING idea!!! How adorable these are....and what a great tutorial!!!

Shannon Tompkins said...

I suspect you won with these. You are so creative - I'm guessing next years new member to the PTI team is you!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! These are adorable! Good luck in the contest - I'm sure you won with these!
Michelle H

Molly B said...

These are so cute. I saw them in the PTI Gallery. Everything you entered into the GSS could be a winner. These hats are super cute. Good Luck, I'll be crossing my fingers for you. -Molly B

Cynthia said...

Oh Niki how cute are these. I wish I had little ones again so I could make these. I don't think my big boys would appreciate these as much as your little one. Thank you so much for sharing and I hope and pray you make the GSS you deserve it. Cynthia

JazzyH said...

So cool!!

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

Very pretty! My mom used to make these when we were little..so cute...

Lynn Mercurio said...

First Congrats on honorable mention! These are fabulous projects really showcasing all the different ways to use PTI stuff. Love your tutorial on the party hats!!!

A.Lee said...

Great tutorial. I'm going to have to remember this for my girls' summer birthdays!

LeAnne said...

Very cute ideas, I am in awe!
LeAnne

Genevive said...

very helpful tutorial! thanks a lot for this!!! :)

Abby Reilly said...

Fabulous tutorial---thanks for sharing. These are absolutely beautiful!

Sweet Touch Events said...

I first have to say thank you for sharing. I second have to say. I bow down to your stamping skills. I love to stamp but I am horrible at it. Your hats came out beautiful.

Unknown said...

just what i was looking for great tutorial!

Sharnee Torrents said...

Hello there Niki!
Thanks heaps for this great tut on the party hats! I'm a fellow lover of stamping and recently wanted to make some party hats, your steps are AWESOME!!!
Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Smiles Sharnee :)
p.s this is what we made....
alarnee.blogspot.com