Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Baby Carriage Card Tutorial

This is my first tutorial so I will try to make every thing as clear as I can. If you have questions, feel free to email me or post a comment. I will edit the end of the post to answer any questions. This tutorial is how to make the baby carriage cards shown here and here.
Supplies
4 1/2 x 8 1/2 piece of cardstock for the base
4 1/2 x 4 1/2 piece of patterned paper
Cuttlebug
Nestabilities large and small circle sets
cuttlebug tag die
brads
paper piercer
straight edge scissors
scalloped edge scissors
pencil
adhesive
First, take your piece of 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 cardstock (I used Papertrey's new Aqua Mist cardstock) and score it in the middle. Fold it over like you would a regular card. Place your largest nestability circle die on top of your cuttlebug plates. Place the piece of cardstock so that a small portion where it is folded is just inside the circle. You don't want to cut a complete circle. You want a small flat spot on the edge of the circle so that your card will stay attached and you will be able to open it.








This is what your card should look like after you run it through the cuttlebug to cut it out. See the flat edge on the circle.




These are the materials I used to make the patterned paper for my baby carriage. I hand stamped my patterned paper using Papertrey Aqua Mist ink and a small stamp from Butterfly Kisses. Now, cut the patterned paper using the next largest nestability circle die.



Next, draw a triangle on your piece of circle patterned paper and cut it out using the straight edge scissors.


It's beginning to look like a baby carriage! My 4 year old son always recognizes the shape once I get to this point.




Now, lay your patterned paper over your cardstock card base. See the flat edge toward the top. You want it slightly off center so that your card will open correctly. Don't adhere the patterned paper yet. Just trace the outline where you cut out the triangle.


I hope this next step makes sense. Draw two lines just inside those that you made when you traced the triangle. You don't want to cut the first lines because we want the edge to be matted. Use straight edge scissors to cut the line on the bottom (I erased the lower line first and then cut the upper one).



Now cut the inside line on the top using your scalloped scissors. I use the line I drew as a guide to keep my cut straight. Afterwards, erase any lines that you can still see.





My scalloped scissors didn't give me a nice and crisp cut towards the top so I used a file to smooth the edges of the scallop. This step is optional, of course, since you might be happy with the cut you got.





Now, adhere your patterned paper to your card base leaving a nice mat around all edges. When you use the nestabilities to cut out something thick like these two layers for the card base, it often leaves a slight embossed center even if you didn't emboss it. I use this slight embossing as a guide to center my patterned paper.



Next, cut out 4 cardstock circles using your second smallest Nestability circle die and two patterned paper circles using your smallest die.






Center one of your patterned paper circles over a cardstock circle and pierce a hole in the center. I didn't use any adhesive since you will be holding it on with a brad.






Keep your wheel on your paper piercing tool and decide where you want to place it on the front of the card. I generally place it just on the edge of the patterned paper circle. Pierce the hole and attach the wheel with a brad. Repeat to add the second wheel.



Flip your baby carriage over. Now, you can see the front wheels and will be able to line up the back wheels. Add adhesive and the back wheels. We need the four wheels so that you can stand your card up.




Now, cut out a tag using the cuttlebug die and a piece of cardstock. I was able to cut a tag out from the edge of my scraps that were left over when I cut out my card base.



Now, stamp your sentiment on your tag (I used Water Lily Green Palette ink) and adhere it to your card base with a brad. I used the Blessed new baby sentiment from the Just Hatched stamp set.




I decided my patterned paper needed a little more pop. So I added tiny little dots to the centers of my images using Water Lily Green palette ink and my embossing tool. This is a great way to add tiny little dots. Just tap your embossing tool on the ink pad, "stamp" it in the center, and reink.


And here is my finished baby carriage card. I would LOVE to see your cards. If you make one, please post a comment so I can check it out!

Recipe
Stamps: Just Hatched, Butterfly Kisses (Papertrey Ink); Cardstock: Aqua Mist, Stampers Select (Papertrey Ink); Ink: Aqua Mist (Papertrey Ink), Water Lily Green Palette (Stewart Superior); Other: Nestabilities, cuttlebug die, cuttlebug, silver brads

22 comments:

Lesly said...

This is unbelieveably cute!

Lesa said...

You did a wicked awesome job on this! Wow!

*kathleen* said...

this is so cute! thanks for sharing!!

ElyBlair said...

TFS! Love the card and tutorial :)

Anonymous said...

I think you explained it clearly! And I'm crying because I can't pull my stuff out and make one. Thanks for all your hard work. I'll be working on this one when I get moved.

Unity Stamp Company said...

Very, very adorable! I love that! Now...who has a new baby that I can make it for? HMMMM! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for that tutorial! I had to try those cute carriage already!!

Veronica Z said...

Oh so cute! I have several friends having babies soon so I will have to make this card for them! Thanks fo the tutorial!

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

Awesome tutorial..Can't wait to make one..I love the colors too...Thanks so much!!

Diane Doran said...

Great tutorial - thanks so much for sharing it!

Kevin Renz said...

Niki,
I thought it was a great tutorial. Good job on it and the card!

Anonymous said...

great tutorial..thank you!

The card is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tutorial!
Becky

Maureen said...

Such an adorable project and you did a GREAT job with the tutorial! I definitely want to make one of these now!

Charlene Austin said...

I just came over to your site to look for a picture of this card so I could case it and here you are providing a tutorial! I am so lucky. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Erin McKinney said...

cute, cute, cute card! Thanks for sharing this cool tutorial, also!

9crafty11 said...

Great tutorial...can't wait to try it!

Unknown said...

I love it!! Good job on your first tutorial.

moi said...

Thank you very much.

moi

Аня said...

That's what I was able to create using your tutorial. I don't have all the tools you used so it was a bit harder to make. I'm also a beginner, so my stuff miss that professional look. I hope I'll get better soon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/annagerber/IDidThis02#5363170078537639874

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Dorte said...

This is so cute! Thanks for sharing!!
I am def gonna try it.
hugs Dorte

Maryann Laursen said...

This is just so cute. Thank you so much for sharing the awesome tutorial with all of us. I´m definately going to try this next time, I need a babycard, as it´s just gorgeous.
Maybe it´s your firsttutorial, but you did a grand job with it hun, it´s really easy to follow and explains things, so I´m sure everyone can make this from the tut here. Great job on that too hun and the card is stunning work as well.