Friday, July 25, 2008

Papertrey Blog Hop: Vellum




Hi Everyone! It's time again for the Papertrey Ink Blog Hop. This month's challenge was to use vellum. I decided to do some dry embossing with vellum and a stamp set. I chose Lisa's Flower Garden set. I love how the embossed vellum looks over the Plum Pudding cardstock. I decided to make a card that could be used for any occasion and left the sentiment off the front. That way I can write or stamp any sentiment inside.

I can't wait to see everyone's creations with vellum! I have a tutorial below for how to do dry embossing with stamps and vellum.



Dry Embossing with Vellum and Stamps

The supplies you need are: vellum, a stamp of your choice, versamark ink, and an embossing stylus. I used versamark because it is a watermark ink that will not show up after you are done embossing. A very light ink would probably work as well, but I did not test it.



Random stamp your vellum with your image using versamark ink. (Sorry for the reflection. I took a bunch of photos and could not get rid of the reflection.)


Next, take you embossing stylus and trace the lines of your stamp. Don't push too hard or you will poke a hole through the vellum. I went over my images twice using light pressure.
ETA: I forgot to mention when embossing, put your vellum piece over a soft surface. I am using the underside of a cutting mat. I actually always have the mat turned over on my desk because it helps with stamp sometimes when you have a hard time getting a good image. Thanks, Char, for letting me know I forgot to mention my surface!


Flip you vellum over and you have pretty, custom embossed vellum. If you decide to make something using dry embossing and vellum, please share a link to your project.


Well, I'm off to see what everyone created. Thanks so much for visiting!

Have a great night!

signature
Recipe
Stamps: Flower Garden (Papertrey Ink)
Cardstock: plum pudding, vintage cream (Papertrey Ink)
Ink: versamark
Accents: plum pudding satin ribbon (Papertrey Ink), dew drops (Robin's Nest)
Tools: sewing machine, embossing stylus

57 comments:

Unknown said...

What a brilliant idea - thanks for the How-to aswell - I'm learning loads.

B said...

Pretty! :-) I love the embossing!

Traveling Mama said...

wow! So pretty! And a great tutorial too! I cannot wait to try this!

Latisha said...

this turned out really pretty!

Molly B said...

Now that is cool. I love it and can't wait to give that a try. -Molly B

IamDerby said...

This is so cool Niki!!! Definitely going to try this!

Kacey Elliott said...

Niki, this is so pretty! I love the vellum with the purple.

Unknown said...

This is an awesome idea, thank you for showing us how it is done.

Anonymous said...

Awesome job (as usual)!!! I have never tried that technique...maybe I need to!
~Lacey Stephens
www.handstampedbylacey.typepad.com

Annapurna said...

Great job Niki! All that hard work has paid off. Very lovely.

Donelda said...

Niki, I love the clean and simple look of your vellum card! The stitching around the edges and the pearls in the corner add just enough to make it a WOW card!! I tend to leave sentiments off my cards too! Thanks for the inspiration!!

K said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the flower choice too. I will have to try it for sure!

Lori said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing how you did the embossing with stamped images--I'll have to give this a try.

Jak Heath said...

Beautiful card and a great tut Niki

Regan said...

super pretty card Niki!

Charlene Austin said...

Niki! This is absolutely beautiful. I would have never even known vellum would do that. Are you working on a hard surface or soft?

Jenny Mick said...

Very pretty!! Simple but very elegant! Great tutorial also!!

Frogwoman said...

Love your embossing work. It is a great card!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Great embossing!

Bonnie said...

This is gorgeous Niki! as I knew it would be...Thanks for the tutorial - I will surely use it!!

Marie Cramp said...

What a pretty card. Great idea, I will have to try that sometime.

Marie
http://scrappingworld.blogspot.com

Kevin Renz said...

I just love the look of the bright white when embossing. Gorgeous card!

Melissa Flieg said...

What a beautiful card and a great tutorial on how to emboss vellum. I can't wait to try this.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial as well, I will have to try this out.

Janette said...

so pretty and a great tutorial Niki!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial as well, I will have to try this out.

Kimberly Crawford said...

Beautiful. your cards are always pure perfection!!!! :)

Jeanne said...

Very cute. Love the embossing with the vellum with color underneath. Great!

Anonymous said...

I love this, Niki! So, so pretty! I'm definitely going to have to give this a try!

Unknown said...

Very pretty card. I am going to try this tecnhique. Thank you.

Debbie Olson said...

Clean, fresh, and FAB, Niki!

Marge said...

Simply gorgeous!!!

Scrapping Julie said...

very pretty Niki!

Unknown said...

I love the embossing on the vellum. Your cards are always beautiful.

Maria Matter said...

Gorgeous!!! thanks so much for the tutorial...I'll be trying this!
The stitching around your vellum really adds a Wow factor!!!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Niki!

Kim Marie said...

What a great idea to stamp on it with Versamark and then trace with the stylus!! love it!! (of course that set is a very fav of mine) Wow!
Kim Marie

Chris said...

great card, been forever since i dry embossed...

Terri said...

Very pretty. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing how you did it too. I am definitely going to have to try it now.

Katy Myhre said...

Thanks for sharing. This is a beautiful card.It has my two favorite things flowers & purple!

Anonymous said...

Love this!! And your tutorial is Great!!

Verda said...

Your card turned out beautiful. I hadn't thought of using versamark , thanks for the tip.

Tamara said...

Very cool. I actually dry embossed my card for this blog hop too.

http://tamarastamps.blogspot.com/2008/07/velum-pti-blog-hop.html

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love this!

Unknown said...

Very pretty Niki! Thanks for the technique too! :)

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty, Niki! (As always!) And thanks for the tutorial!

Diane said...

WOW! This is beautiful and your tutorial makes it sound so easy. I'll have to try this one!

Marcie Sharp said...

I love that idea! Thanks for the tutorial...saved for future use!

Alicia Weiman said...

Beautiful card! I love this idea.

Kim's Life said...

Very Cool. Thank You for sharing!!!!

Katharina Frei said...

This is a wonderful card Niki and a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing :)
Katharina

Charlene Austin said...

LOL....Thanks Niki for the edit about the soft surface. I have to admit I pulled out a piece of vellum and my embossing stylus and it didn't work for me. BUT I think that could be because the surface was hard. I will give it another try one of these days. I just LOVE you card!

ohradiogirl said...

Very nice card. Thanks for the tutorial.

Etha said...

Niki do you emboss on the stamped side or the back side? I mean, do you rub your stylus right over the versamark ink? then the images would be mirrored when you flip it over, right? or can you see the versamark from the backside?

Maureen said...

I've never thought to do dry embossing with a stamped image - how clever!! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Niki for your vellum tutorial. I have been wanting that something special for a card. Can't wait to try it.

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Fantastic card & tutorial. That vellum does look stunning against the plum. SO soft! :O)