Friday, March 14, 2008

Bunny Treat Box

Today, I'm sharing one of the egg boxes I entered in the Papertrey Ink Guest Star Stamper contest. These boxes were a lot of fun to alter. I started by painting my box blue. I did not have an exact shade of blue that matched so I settled for a coordinating shade. Next I measured the 12x12 Everyday Blessings paper to fit around my box (I used two strips to get all the way around my box). Before I adhered it to my box, I cut some white paper as a scalloped border and sewed the pieces together. Then, I adhered the paper to the box. Next, I worked on the lid. I cut a piece of patterned paper for the top and matted it with a piece of white paper cut with scalloped scissors. I sewed the pieces together and added them to my lid. Next up the bow. Before I made the bow, I cut the strips out of the aqua mist and the spring moss patterned paper and made my own double sided paper. I followed this tutorial on SCS to make the bow. I've made my own bows before without the tutorial, but the tutorial makes it quick and easy.

To finish off the inside of my box, I turned the chipboard insert over and traced the circles on the back of my patterned paper. Then, I cut the circles out with my craft knife and modpodged the patterned paper to the chipboard. After it dried, I sanded the edges. I found these great carrot candy holders (hence the name Bunny treat box) at the Dollar Tree. They fit perfectly! I put them under the chipboard insert to make it look like they were still in the ground. Papertrey's release is new tonight! Can't wait to try the new papers, ribbon, and inks in those two shades of pink and to see the new sets! See you at the release party!
Recipe
Patterned Paper: Everyday Blessings (Papertrey Ink)
Cardstock: white (ctmh)
Accents: ribbon (Papertrey Ink)
Tools: sewing machine, scalloped scissors, sanding tool (Basic Grey), paint (Making Memories)
Other: carrot candy holders (Dollar Tree)
ETA: Here is the link to the bow tutorial. SCS wasn't working for me when I posted this and I forgot to come back and add the link. Thanks, Sue, for reminding me!

8 comments:

ChrissyM said...

How creative and cute! I love it!!!!!

Lesa said...

This is adorable. What a fun box!

Michelle said...

Niki, WOW!! I love that box, love how you made it so pretty and different. It's adorable!

Anonymous said...

I love this box Niki, especially the bow. Could you post the link to the tutorial too please?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial Niki. And congratulations on winning the Guest Star Stamper and becoming team member for Hannah stamps! I love reading your blog and seeing all of your new creations.

Jen Glover said...

This is so beautiful, I mean just gorgeous! You are SOOO talented! Have a great week!

Jenn said...

OMG - Niki, these are amazing! LOVE them!

Justine said...

This is one of the cutest boxes I have seen. Great job