Sunday, November 16, 2008

Santa's Surprise

It's time for another High Hopes challenge. This week's challenge is buttons and brads. I had a vision in my head of a row of altering buttons and brads. I'm not too sure that I like the Santa brads. My card didn't quite live up to my vision, but it was such a fun challenge. I think I will try it again some time with regular round brads and buttons.
I started out stamping and coloring my image (info below next photo). Then I cut all my layers and patterned papers. I added some stitching. Then, I wanted to use altering brads and buttons on top of some ribbon. So, I cut a slit in the spine of my card and slipped my ribbon through. Then, I stitched the buttons to the ribbon and added the brads and stuck the ribbon down. Then, I added my image and some more buttons in the corner.
I just love this Santa. I think he is so adorable. This is Santa's Surprise. I colored my image with copic markers. I added a little gray using koh-i-nor pencils and gamsol. It is light and great shading, but it is hard to see in the photo. Then, I created a mask and using a copic marker and an air compressor to spray the background around Santa. (It was originally a piece of white cardstock.)


I added some dimensional glaze to the candy cane and used a clear copic spica pen to add some glitter to the bows and ribbon on the presents. It was hard to photograph the glitter, but I finally got a photo that shows it pretty well.
I hope you join us in the challenge and have a great Sunday! Be sure and stop by the High Hopes challenge blog to see what all the design team ladies came up with. They are fabulous!
signature
Recipe
Stamps: Santa's Surprise (High Hopes Rubber Stamps)
Cardstock: pure poppy, white (Papertrey Ink)
Patterned Paper: Figgy Pudding (Basic Grey)
Accents: pure poppy stitched ribbon (Papertrey Ink), buttons, santa brads
Tools: copic markers, air compressor, sewing machine, dimensional glaze, copic spica pen, koh-i-nor pencil, gamsol

17 comments:

Nikki Fairbairn said...

I love this Niki, Fabulous colouring and love the background.. gonna have to look into getting an air compressor as I love the effect.. the buttons are just so cute. Have a great Sunday, Hugs, Nikki x

Monica said...

Adorable Card Niki! I love them brads too!!!
Great job!
~Monica~

Anonymous said...

Niki, this card is adorable; the coloring is great, especially the airbrush effect.

Anonymous said...

This is the cutest, Niki! I have been delving into the Copics and would like to get an ABS, but unsure as to which one to get. Can you share with us the system you use? Thanks much.

Anonymous said...

Your santa is awesome!! I just love the look from the airbrush. And I really like the santa brads!
~Lacey

Michelle said...

Wow ~~ this is fabulous ~~ love how you colored it & used the compressor ~~ & I like the brad/button combo!! Great Xmas card! Have a great Sunday!

Elizabeth S. said...

I think this is such an adorable card. I like the Santa brads.

Bev J. said...

Cute, cute card-love the buttons and brads you used. tfs

Amanda said...

This is wonderful! Love the paper you used and I think the Santa brads are cute! Great job.

Carolina said...

Niki your Santa card is the best one I've seen so far!!! It's colored just perfectly and the compressor has been on my list, it adds the perfect background. The images on the buttons are just the perfect touch!

Kerry D-C said...

This is SO STINKIN' CUTE!!! you did such a wonderful job coloring him and with the background that he looks like he may come alive. fab job!

Kimberly Crawford said...

He's really cute and I like the brads and the buttons-it caught my eye right away!

Vicki G said...

Oh MY Niki!!! that is just the CUTEST!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Really cute card -- where did you find those Santa brads? They are really adorable.

Candyf

Jennifer Love said...

Oh I LOVE it! I gotta look into getting me one of those fancy airbrush things for my Copics! :)

Sally said...

This is my very first time reading your blog. I love the Santa card you made. It's really nice. I love the designs of all your cards. You are very talented & great inspiration to all! I have to buy some of those stamps you used in your lastest cards. They are really nice & versatile sets. TFS!

Amy said...

Wow Santa looks fantastic Niki! I just absolutley LOVE this card!!