Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Thar be a birthday fast approaching!

I am so excited that the High Hopes design team started a challenge blog. They are one of my favorite stamp companies so I had to play along. This week's challenge is to make a birthday card and use brads. I can't help but say this is one of my favorite cards I have made in a long time. It was lots of fun to get all inky and distressed.

I started out by stamping On Guard Oberto and the treasure map on white cardstock. I started out coloring the map with copic markers. Then, I wrinkled it all up and distressed and tore the edges of the map. Then, I added some antique linen ink all over the map with a sponge. Then, I used the chocolate ink pad directly on the map to ink the high spots and the edges. Doesn't it look like an old torn up treasure map?!

Next, I moved on to Oberto. I wanted the image to look like an old worn photo so I did the same steps with him: colored with copic markers, distressed edges, inked with antique linen and chocolate ink.
Next, I cut all the layers for my card and inked the edges of the red layers. Then, I stamped the ships wheel in antique linen ink on the kraft paper for a subtle pattern. I stamped my sentiment in the lower right corner and added brads to the corners. Then, I wrapped the hemp around the brads and tied at the bottom. Then, I assembled all the layers. I added the map and Oberto to the card using dimensional foam so you can definitely see all the dimension, especially in the wrinkly map.

Here you can see the subtle pattern paper I made with the ships wheel stamp.


I wanted to finish the inside of my card as well so I cut cardstock layers to match the front and inked the edges. Then, I stamped the ships wheel again on the kraft cardstock. I stamped the sentiment and assembled the layers.

Last, I stamped the treasure chest on white cardstock and colored it with copic markers. I cut it out and then distressed the image with antique linen and chocolate ink.

This was such a fun card to make! I can't wait to play along with the next challenge. Have a great day!

signature
Recipe
Cardstock: white, kraft (Papertrey Ink), real red, baja breeze (SU!)
Ink: black (Momento), antique linen distress ink (Ranger), chocolate paper stain (All My Memories), noir (Palette)
Accents: copper brads (Making Memories), hemp
Tools: copic markers, edge distressor, sponge

18 comments:

The Crazy Life of a Navy Wife said...

I absolutely love this card. I actually want to go buy that stamp set now!!

Martha said...

what a cute stamp. I love it.

kjlowrey said...

Love it! And I too want the set now!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this a card to be proud of for sure! You went all out and came up with a magnificent creation. I do love your distressing, its just so suitable for this theme and I love the faint ships wheel in the background. Super duper card, inside and out!

Unknown said...

This is just adorable Niki!! What a cutie! :)

It All Begins With A Tree said...

Niki!

What a card! Holy Moley, I'm totally blown away. Your coloring is gorgeous and love how you did the distressing! Layout is fabulous and that little treasure chest, well...WOW!

You are amazing!

Amy said...

FANTASTIC card Niki! I really love how you used the map and your colouring is fabulous! Good luck with the challenge... who wouldn't want the whole dragon stamp range... thats so COOL!

Ying Pang, said...

wow, this is so stunning. Thank you for participating in HH challenge!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the card, Niki. I like the treasure map and know you worked hard on it making it look realistic.

Janette said...

Niki- this is seriously an awesome card!

Kimberly Crawford said...

WOW, Niki! That is FANTASTIC!! Oh my goodness!!!

Unknown said...

Well this is just superbulous!!! I love the distressing and the colouring and the inside is gorgeous - what a really well crafted card.

jjcreations said...

Fantastic pirate card - I love it inside and out!!! Joan

Molly B said...

Wow Niki, this card is awesome. I cant believe all of the detail you got onto one card. I love it. -Molly B

Colleen said...

what a cute stamp. your card is very cute too.

n8tvtexan said...

How cute! I love it, especially the map!

debby4000 said...

Fabulous card, gorgeous colouring on the Pirate.

Michelle said...

Oh Niki, this is adorable!! Such a great job you did, love the distressing & your coloring looks fabulous!!!